What are the Different Types of Burn Injuries?
Burns can range in severity from very minor to catastrophic to fatal. Burn injuries are separated into the following three degrees:
1) First degree burns, which cause reddening of the skin, but no blistering.
2) Second degree burns, which cause blisters and can be superficial or deep.
3) Third degree burns, which penetrate the entire thickness of the skin and permanently destroy tissue. These burns cause white, blackened, or charred skin that may be numb.
Burn injuries can result in blistering, swelling, pain, peeling skin, scarring, infection, shock, or even death.
Medical treatment for burn injuries varies depending on the severity of the burn and can be as serious as requiring surgery or skin grafts.
What are the Causes of Burn Injuries?
Burn injuries occur in a variety of situations. Some of the most common causes of burn injuries include the following:
- Scalding burns from hot liquids or steam
- Building fires
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Electrical accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Industrial accidents
- Defective products
- Chemical burns
- Gas explosions
- Lawn mower accidents
Burn injuries commonly occur due to the negligence or intentional act of another. If you have suffered a burn injury that is the result of another’s negligence or intentional actions, you may have a claim against that person. Some common claims that result from burn injuries include the following:
- Personal injury claims
- Premises liability claims (if it occurred on the property of another or at a place of business)
- Workers’ compensation (if it occurred on the job)
- Social Security disability (if it is disabling)
- Wrongful death (if it resulted in the death of a loved one)
- Spouse’s Loss of Consortium Claim (depending on the circumstances)
- Parent’s Filial Consortium Claim
What Should I Do to Recover From a Burn Injury?
If you have suffered a burn injury, it is vital that you do the following:
- Seek medical attention for your injuries immediately
- Document the circumstances of the accident
- Take pictures of your injuries and the surrounding area
- Take pictures of what caused the burn injury
- Get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any person that witnessed the accident
- Tips for Getting a Fair Settlement in an Injury Case in Orlando
- Getting Medical Treatment After a Personal Injury
- Benefits for Personal Injury Victims in Orlando